Mediation & Family Dispute Resolution (FDR)
What is Mediation?
Mediation is a structured non-adversarial negotiation process in which a neutral third party assists parties to agree on their own solutions to a dispute.The style of mediation you choose will depend the issues involved in your matter.
Chris Williams is one of the most experienced mediators in Perth, Western Australia.
Mediations can be conducted with both parties unrepresented or represented by solicitors.
What is Family Dispute Resolution (FDR)?
FDR is a particular form of mediation, in which an accredited Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner (FDRP) conducts mediation processes to assist people negotiate an agreement under family law about arrangements for their children or property following separation.
FDR can help separating or separated couples to reach an agreement without having to go to court. If you and your ex-partner are able to reach an agreement during FDR, you may formalise the agreement by including it in an application to the court for consent orders, or in a parenting plan.
What are the benefits of mediation?
- A conciliatory approach to resolving problems - avoids holding positions & seeks to find common interests.
- Cost effective
- Organise meeting times & places convenient to you. Mediation takes place in our Fremantle rooms or other venues as agreed in face-to-face meetings or via phone/video-link.
- Protects parties from adverse publicity ; encourages openness and honesty in exchanges.
- Voluntary Involvement
- Own the procedure
- Individualise the procedure to your requirements.
- Reduce disputed issues
- Even if the final settlement is not reached, participants can narrow or clarify the issues for trial.
The agreed result is enforced as a contract. There is a high “sticking” rate for mediation settlements. For Family disputes, the mediation agreement can be filed as consent orders in the Family Court.
Chris Williams is a Qualfied & Experienced Mediator
- Completed Association of Dispute Resolvers (formerly LEADR) training, November, 1994
- Member of the Resolution Institute
- National Accreditation as a mediator since May, 2005.
- Accredited by the Australian Institute of Family Lawyers and Mediators
- Registered Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner. Reg.No. R1002733
- Over 20 years practising as a mediator including family law mediation and other disputes;
- Conducted over 500 mediations in WA assisting private and Legal Aid WA clients